THE SACRAL CHAKRA
E-motions are energy in motion. If they are not expressed, the energy is
Are you sexually inhibited or lack confidence in your own sensuality? If so, you may benefit greatly from exploring your sacral chakra. This energy center can also be referred to as the Womb or Dantien center. This is our center of creation and connects us to our emotions and brings us into right relationship with others.
The Sanskrit name for the sacral chakra is Svadhisthana, which translates as sweetness. The essence of the sacral is revealed in the sweet exchange of intimacy and connected-ness. Physiologically, the sacral chakra governs our sexual development, sexual maturity, and the health of the reproductive and urinary systems. Sexual pleasure is not the only way to experience the sweetness of this chakra. To experience the sweetness of this chakra’s energy begin introducing self-love and nurturance into your life. Enjoy the simple pleasures of resting, eating good food, and embracing tactile pleasures like dancing and massage.
When the natural state of a healthy open sacral chakra is blocked, we can
become numb to our emotions. Blockages can also cause the physical body to contract and become energy deficient. This contracted state can desensitize and cause a disconnect from our passions and desires. We may shut down our sexual desire and begin to lose our passion for life. Allowing repressed emotions, (sadness, shame, fear etc.) to move through our bodies where we can feel them to release them, helps prevent blockages getting stuck mentally and physically. As we become more attuned to this energy center, passion, desire and pleasure can become an intricate part of our health and wellness.
Excessive energy stored in the sacral chakra can cause imbalance. Too much energy in this chakra center manifests as moodiness and over-sensitivity to others. This can manifest as perpetual states of crisis, excessive sex drive, or a craving for constant excitement and stimulation. When equilibrium occurs through the balancing of the sacral chakra, we
become more conscious of our inner nature and develop a deep appreciation
for our emotional well-being. When we maintain balance, our intimate relationships become easier, and our life begins to feel “sweeter”.
Below is a simple test and tools to check the health of your sacral chakra and tools to assist balance.
Evaluating your sacral chakra
Simply answer YES or NO to each of the statements below. If you score
more than four Nos it may indicate that your sacral chakra is imbalanced. If
you score four or more YES answers, wonderful! You are balanced in the
1. I easily express my emotions – they feel free and flowing.
2. I have an abundance of healthy, sensual pleasures in my life.
3. I ensure that I am always hydrated, and I enjoy drinking water.
4. I can identify what I need and ask for it.
5. I enjoy stimulating and healthy sexual relationships.
6. I love to dance, moving with music feels good to me.
7. I am in touch with my sensitive side.
Balancing your sacral chakra:
Sacral chakra crystals
Moonstone, carnelian, golden topaz
These crystals may be placed on the location of the sacral chakra (just below
your bellybutton) for clearing, revitalizing and healing. You may even
choose to carry one or more of these crystals with you throughout your day.
Sacral chakra oils
Rose Geranium, rose, sandalwood.
These oils can be used in massage treatments, burned in an oil burner or you
may even add a few drops in your bath.
Everyday ways to balance your sacral chakra
· Swim or play in water
· Wear orange clothes or bring orange more into your life
(the color of the sacral chakra)
· Take relaxation baths with candles and oils
· Drink lots of cleansing and nourishing fluids
· Take pleasure in cooking meals; really tune into the tastes and aromas.
· Invoke your inner child and play!
Top Tips for balancing your sacral chakra:
1. Get support on any emotional issues going on in your life.
(This may include finding a form of therapy such as counseling or energetic
2. Try not to keep feelings bottled up, but find safe ways to express and
(talking to a friend, chanting, dancing, painting, journal keeping)
3. Find a regular practice to help keep you emotionally balanced
(meditation, yoga, qigong, relaxation exercises)
4. Create opportunities for pleasurable feelings in your life.
(be kind, be in gratitude, share a smile)
5. Find the time to do things you really enjoy.
6. Create some ‘YOU’ time every day.
7. Spend time with positive and uplifting people.
8. Create an emotionally calming environment in your home
(cleansing your personal space with incense, candles, sage, room sprays)